Monday 4 March 2013

Mapping Mayhem

The main genre I read--and write--is fantasy, and one of the things I love most about this genre are maps. Tolkien has me going crazy with his amazing maps for The Lord of the Rings, and even in real life I'm always wondering how certain places received their names and the history behind them.

Now, I never particularly excelled in any geography classes in elementary school, and I'm avoiding them like the plague in university. But one of my favourite past times is to create maps for the books I write.

My current Work-in-progress, Ethereal, relies a lot on its geography. The creepy forest in which the majority of the story takes place is almost a character in and of itself. As well, the political boundaries of the two kingdoms are very important when considering the strife in the background of this retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Because I can't handle just plain romance, I have to throw in war and politics to make everything a wee bit more interesting, and up the stakes so you actually have to wonder if all things will be right in the end. ;) My friends just roll their eyes at me.

Here's a peek at the map I just drew drew for Ethereal. It's not very good, as I only had Paint to work with, but it's enough to help me keep general worldbuilding in mind, as well as remind me to add some cool tidbits into the story.
MAP OF AVANOR AND TELEMANTH


So tell me, do you create maps for your stories? How important are maps to you when reading a novel?

3 comments:

  1. I used to use maps quite a lot, but I haven't drawn any recently. I love that your wood is called The Scar.

    And I totally agree with you. I can't take a book that's just plain romance. It must have danger and intrigue! I suppose that's why I had a hard time with Robin McKinley's beautiful versions of the tale. I was never concerned if things were going to turn out all right.

    I love the map, and am now even more intrigued to read Ethereal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to look at maps; yours is just incredible!
    The Weeping Crags..OMG I LOVE THAT. SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for commenting! I ask only a few things: please do not post anything that disparages others or is offensive. No swearing or taking the Lord's name in vain, especially. Thank you, and be blessed!