Sunday 30 December 2012

Out of One Year, Into Another

The end of 2012 is nigh. 2013 is just around the corner, and, with that, people will start putting together resolutions. Here's a list of mine, in no particular order:

1) Get more involved. What with schoolwork and writing, there's not a lot of extra time. But I want to make time to get involved with extracurriculars and volunteer work.

2) Finish Draft One of my current work-in-progress, Ice Roses. I'm 300 pages, 75,000 words into this draft. I have the hardest time finishing stories--I've written lots of short ones, but this will be the first full-length novel that I finish.

3) Start/maybe finish Draft One of Ethereal, my Beauty and the Beast retelling. People always say that when you finish one project, you should start another and ignore the first one for a while before revising. (I think that's Stephen King's advice). And that's exactly what I plan on doing. I have so many stories to write, so there will be no problem finding something else to work on!

4) Continue growing closer to God and living out my Christian faith. This is the hardest one. With faith, you're always growing out. I'm a very introverted person, so making an effort to go beyond myself and my tiny circle is always tough. Only by the strength of God!

5) Do the best I can at school, and try to figure out God's direction in my life. At this point, I want to study English and History at university, but understanding where that's going to get me later on is a difficulty. It's a constant struggle, because school is very expensive and half the time I wonder if I should just drop out and do something that will guarantee me a job. But you only have one life, and with God's help, I want to live it without fear and take some risks.

So there you have it--my New Year's Resolutions. Come on, 2013!

2 comments:

  1. These are some great goals! In regards to number five, the best advice I ever received was to do what you love. Everyone faces obstacles in school and in their careers, and a real dedication to what you do is key to overcoming them. Plus, your career will not necessarily be determined by what you study. I know a lot of people who ended up in fields that are not related to their studies. But that's fine! God will take care of you and you may find that studying history or English really helps you in whatever career you choose. Both will provide you with analytical skills and writing skills--two important aspects of any job. I see no reason why God cannot use your passions in whatever field you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Petra! I'm definitely excited to see where God takes me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for commenting! I ask only a few things: please do not post anything that disparages others or is offensive. No swearing or taking the Lord's name in vain, especially. Thank you, and be blessed!